Re: st: model with censored dependent variable and binary endogenousvariable

Subject   Re: st: model with censored dependent variable and binary endogenousvariable
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

> I actually have a two-equation model. The equation for the endogenous
> variable should be estimated as a probit. The second-stage equation for
> the censored dependent variable of interest should be estimated as a
> Tobit.  I'd rather not use Heckman, because I don't need to rely on
> functional form for identification. I have an IV. So I essentially want
> to do the equivalent of 2SLS, but 2SLS itself would give inconsistent
> estimators.
>
> Yes, I see that I could write a ml procedure, but I have never done this
> before and I wonder if anyone has already written a procedure to do
> something similar which I could use as an example?

The best I can think of is -treatreg-, so you would need to figure out how
to convert the regression step of it into a tobit model. (My
microeconometrics instructor, David Guilkey, said in his class on tobit
that he had never seen a trustable tobit model so far in his career...).
But it does involve a Heckman-type / inverse Mills' ratio stuff inside
that you don't seem to like a lot. (I personally don't care much about the
assumed normality; I do know that all models are imperfect, and as far as
this one works, I'd rather have an only approximately correct model
working reasonably well rather than developing a complex model that would
relax the normality assumptions to find out it does not converge, or that
I cannot interpret its outout. So I would just put the instruments into
the first probit. Your potential referees may be more strict on that.)

 ---                                    Stas Kolenikov
 --       Ph.D. student in Statistics at UNC-Chapel Hill
 - http://www.komkon.org/~tacik/  -- [email protected]

* This e-mail and all attachments to it are not intended to provide any
* reasonable point of view and was transmitted to you in error. It
* should be immediately deleted by all recipients unless they really
* enjoy communicating with the author :). Other restrictions apply.