Re: st: objective function for amoeba

Subject   Re: st: objective function for amoeba
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:46:19 -0400 (EDT)

Sasha,

> I just started to learn programming in Stata and struggle with this:
>
> I would like to maximize
>
> y=(Ax+B)'(Ax+B) where x=(rho**2, rho, sigma) is a vector 3x1.  A (3x3)
> and B(3x1) are known.
>
> I installed amoeba.ado that allows to do this but there is no help on
> how objective function looks. I guess that I need to write a program
> that will take x from amoeba and return y. Can anyone suggest a code
> that will do this.

You would need to -program define- your objective function in the
following way:

program define QForm
  args x y
  tempname M
  mat `M' = (A`x'+B)'(A`x'+B)
  scalar `y' = `M'[1,1]
end

(I suspect it wouldn't work if you just coded

scalar `y' = (A`x'+B)'(A`x'+B)

because the result in the RHS is a 1x1 matrix to Stata, even though it may
appear as a number to most of us.)

See if this works.

 ---                                    Stas Kolenikov
 --       Ph.D. student in Statistics at UNC-Chapel Hill
 - http://www.komkon.org/~tacik/  -- [email protected]

* This e-mail and all attachments to it are not intended to provide any
* reasonable point of view and was transmitted to you in error. It
* should be immediately deleted by all recipients unless they really
* enjoy communicating with the author :). Other restrictions apply.