st: RE: RE: histogram

From   "David Harrison" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: histogram
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:18:03 +0100

If you have no zero bins in your histogram then no new programming is required, just use -twoway histogram- with the -recast(line)- option. As Nick rightly highlights though, this will not deal correctly with zero bins.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 20 July 2004 14:29
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: histogram

I suspect that you want what is often called
a frequency polygon. Frequency polygons
are not supported by official Stata. There
are various user-written programs in
existence, although none I think in the public
domain. One user got excited by the problem
a while back, but (s)he doesn't seem to have
followed through to completion.

Programming them from scratch divides into
the easy bit, which is easy, and the difficult
bit (making sure that zero bins are shown properly),
which is not so easy. I guess that a good Stata
programmer could also look at -histogram-
and clone it, but that would be a class act.

An alternative, which I believe superior, is
to go straight to -kdensity-. Statistical
science spent too many decades stuck
in bins. Climb out of the bins and get
smoother estimates!

D.Christodoulou