st: Underlying distribution for CI's in dstdize

From   "David Hanna" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Underlying distribution for CI's in dstdize
Date   Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:50:35 -0400

Hello, I am using the dstdize command to calculate age-standardize death
rates based on a standard population.

Does anyone know what the underlying distribution for the standard
error and confidence intervals is using the dstdize command?  I assume
it is a binomal distribution but would like some confirmation.

Also, some of my event counts are less than 100, necessitating a
Poisson distribution for the CI's for these rates instead of a binomial
distribution.  Can dstdize be used or modified to determine such rates
(i.e. has someone written code for this), or would I have to calculate
these myself using the standard equations?

Thanks,
David

--
David B Hanna
[email protected]

HIV Epidemiology Program
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
346 Broadway, Room 706, CN44
New York, NY  10013-4089
Phone 212 788 2066
FAX 212 788 2520