Re: st: how to use mfx with xtlogit

From   May Boggess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to use mfx with xtlogit
Date   12 Jul 2004 14:13:25 -0500

On Monday, Gang wrote:

> Thanks for the update. But the point is I need to know how to use it.
>
> In logit, I run mfx after logit can get the marginal effect at the mean
> value of the all predictors; how can I do this under xtlogit? Could you
> help?

The predict option -pu0- after -xtlogit, fe- is often used, as in
this example:

 clear
 sysuse auto
 xtlogit for mpg, i(head) fe
 mfx, predict(pu0)

Let me stress, that there is not one correct predict option and all
others are incorrect. A marginal effect is a derivative of a function of
the coefficients of the model. So we may calculate different marginal
effects by differentiating different functions.

For example, using the predict option -xb- with -mfx- after -xtlogit,
fe- gives a sensible answer, but it probably isn't the one we want. So
which predict option we use depends on which marginal effect we are
after.

--May