st: problem with delimit ; and // comenting

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: problem with delimit ; and // comenting
Date   Fri, 09 Jul 2004 19:28:30 -0400

I got an error running a very simple program, that sets delimit to ;
and then has some commentaries with it.
I can't figure out the reason for it, but I suspect that it happens on
the second occurence of the // comment.

The program is very simple
--------------------------------------
#delim ;
// this comment works, delimiter is set to;
di "Works fine";
// Second comment screwes up something. ;
   di in red "Why do I get an error here ?";
Yet, I get an error on the last line, and never get it excuted.
I wonder whats going on here ?

Initially I tried to see if I need to put semicolon on the end of *, /*
*/ or // comments, and would appericated any answer on that matter as
well. Thanks!
Misha Bontch-Osmolovski
World Bank.

Stata Results output:
. #delim ;
delimiter now ;
. // this comment works, delimiter is set to;
> di "Works fine";
Works fine
r; t=0.00 19:16:08

. // Second comment screwes up something. ;
unrecognized command:  / invalid command name
r(199); t=0.00 19:16:08

end of do-file
r(199); t=0.00 19:16:08