st: -tabodds- versus -cc-

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -tabodds- versus -cc-
Date   Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:31:16 -0600

Hello Statalisters --
I am using Intercooled Stata, version 8.2.  I hope someone can
clarify the use of -tabodds- versus -cc- when determing whether
a Mantel-Haenszel (MH) odds ratio is appropriate.  As I
understand it (and please feel free to correct me if my
understanding is misguided), the first step in determining
whether a MH odds ratio is appropriate is to generate odds
ratios for each group via -cc case_var exp_var, by(varname)-
then to follow this command with -tabodds case_var exp_var-
wherein I refer to the 'Test of Homogeneity (equal odds)' for
confirmation (or not) of whether a MH odds ratio is
appropriate.  The Stata 7 reference manual (vol 1, pg 467),
however, indicates that I ought to refer only to the -cc-
output and its 'Test of Homogeneity (M-H)' in determining
whether a MH odds ratio is appropriate.  Can anyone clarify?

As always, any suggestions are appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Clint Thompson