st: Re: graph_header.idlg and _std_graph.idlg

From   [email protected] (James Hassell)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: graph_header.idlg and _std_graph.idlg
Date   Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:25:39 -0500

Roger Newson wrote:

>Thanks to Jean Marie Linhart and Alan Riley, I have been getting into the
>use of the official Stata .idlg files, using the very helpful FAQ on
>http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/idlg.html
>and now have a further query. The files graph_header.idlg and
>_std_graph.idlg contain DEFINE statements for what looks like a
>comprehensive list of positions and sizes for standard dialog box controls
>in complicated de-luxe graphics dialog boxes. Is there any reason why
>regular Stata users (outside StataCorp) should not use these positions and
>sizes in their own graphics dialog boxes? And, if not, is there anything
>else that we should know about them before using them?

Roger can certainly use (INCLUDE) any of the .idlg files available in
Stata, including graph_header.idlg and _std_graph.idlg. That said, I would
like to issue a warning that may discourage Roger from doing so. StataCorp
does not make any guarantee that these file will not change, and
furthermore, some of these files could cease to exist in future
versions of Stata.

Even though the .idlg files mentioned by Roger are less likely to change
than others, I would to make the following recommendation. Make your own
copy of the .idlg file by renaming it, and refer to the copy instead of
the official Stata version.

-- James