st: RE: RE: Avoiding loops (the while loop)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Avoiding loops (the while loop)
Date   Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:46:37 +0100

Replies below.

Subhankar Nayak

> 1) Yes, there are 21 variables. Sorry, it was a typo on my part.

OK.

> 2) I want to avoid loops because this is part of a simulation
> exercise, and
> loops in stata (as in any other statistical package) is very
> slow. First, I
> have to do month by month regression for 1000 months. Second,
> I have to
> repeat this exercise for 1000 simulation rounds. Now, even with 1500MB
> memory I am allocating, the whole exercise takes 8-10
> hours... And I have
> variations of these tests.

This is a misconception on your part, I think.
Looping over observations can be very slow in Stata, but
we are not doing that.
In this kind of example, the interpretative overhead of
a loop should be minor. Sure, you have a substantial
amount of work to do, but avoiding loops is not an
answer, I think. There is some overhead in the
fact that -regress- is giving more results than
you want to use. I guess you could reduce that
by writing a plugin in C or C++. The time overhead
on that might not be great, especially in the
possible extreme case that you have to learn C first.

> 3) Let me try the code you are suggesting.
>
> 4) I am attaching my code below for perusal if necessary.
>
> DATASET:
>
> Variables Nobs
> month  1000
> ret1  1000
> ret2  1000
> ret3  1000
> ret4  1000
> ret5  1000
> ret6  1000
> ret7  1000
> ret8  1000
> ret9  1000
> ret10  1000
> pbeta1  1000
> pbeta2  1000
> pbeta3  1000
> pbeta4  1000
> pbeta5  1000
> pbeta6  1000
> pbeta7  1000
> pbeta8  1000
> pbeta9  1000
> pbeta10  1000

So you have data on 10 asset portfolios over 1000/12 months
= 83 years ??? I guess some economic historians would
be interested in such data.

These t-tests look wrong to me. There is
no adjustment for serial correlation in
intercepts or slopes.