st: RE: Re: Problem with tempvar __000000

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Problem with tempvar __000000
Date   Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:29:51 +0100

I concur with Tom's analysis. Like him,
I can't reproduce the "already defined" message.

Note two further details.

The fact that a temporary variable does not persist
beyond the end of a do file is explicit within [P]
macro but may come as a surprise.

The particular temporary variable name __000000 can only
I think be reproduced if you have not created
temporary variables earlier in the same session. More
generally, Stata avoids names previously
used in a session even if variables with those names
no longer exist. Presumably always using a new name
is the easiest and safest general solution.

A little experiment you can try is

forval i = 1/10 {
	tempvar foo
	gen `foo' = 1
	di "`foo'"
	drop `foo'
}

This incidentally illustrates one use of tempvars
within a main program, to elucidate some programming
puzzle without writing a named program.

Tom Steichen

> For the situation you describe below, retention of the temp
> variable in the
> saved dataset is the expected behavior.
>
> Temp variables are deleted automatically only when their
> creating program
> (or do file) ends. Thus they remain in existence until dropped or the
> program (or do file) that created them ends.  It follows that
> if you create
> a temp variable in the "main" program level of Stata, the
> temp variable
> remains in existence until either dropped or you exit from
> Stata. If you do
> a -save- without specifying which variables, all variables,
> including temp
> variables, get saved.
>
> I tried your example, exactly as you show below but on Stata SE (not
> Intercooled), born the same date you show, and I do not get any error
> message even though __000000 exists.  Thus the entanglement
> of Graph with
> the temp variable may be an Intercooled problem.

Renzo Comolli