st: Reverse null hypothesis?

From   Steve Harvey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Reverse null hypothesis?
Date   Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:24:54 -0400

Dear Statalisters:

I'm having trouble with what may be a fairly basic statistics question.

I have a new intervention and want to know if the intervention is at least as good as the standard treatment. I want to be certain that the intervention is not poorer than the standard treatment. So...

Ho: M1 < M2
Ha: M1>= M2

If I want to be 95% certain that I can reject Ho, do I need to do anything different in terms of calculating sample size and means testing than under the normal Ho: M1 = M2? Do the probability distributions under these conditions differ from those when I assume Ho: M1 = M2?

TIA,

Steve

*
* For searches and help try: