Re: st: Re: xtreg v areg

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Clive Nicholas <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: xtreg v areg
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:47:53 +0100 (BST)

Clive,

It's all in the manual.  The xtreg entry has about a page on how the R-sqs
reported are not like OLS R-sqs, whereas the areg entry has a sentence
saying that the areg R-sq is just the R-sq reported if you run an OLS
regression with dummies.

Cheers,
Mark

Quoting Clive Nicholas <[email protected]>:

> Kit Baum wrote:
>
> > Apples and oranges make a good fruit salad, but...
> >
> > The areg shows 11 region categories. The xtreg shows 304 groups
> of
> > 'pano'. If you use the same variable (e.g. region) in both
> commands,
> > you will get the same coefficients/std errors, or your computer
> is
> > broken.
>
> As a gangster from the East End of London might say, I've sorted it.
> used my PANO (constituency) variable as the fixed effect in both
> models,
> after Scott Merryman's corrective suggestion. This got me the
> identical
> results I should have had for both LSDV and FE. I could have used
> REGION
> as my fixed effect, but the codes in this variable represent much
> larger
> areas of the UK. I prefer the former, since one cannot get much
> more
> precise regional FEs than parliamentary constituencies (unless you
> use
> local government wards, but that would be masochistic)!
>
> However, I noticed something in my two 'identical' models:
>
> . areg edconch edround2 edround3 edtime edtimesq edyear edpollch
> lagconch
> laglabch lagldmch clmargin ldmargin conplace edenp class if
> edmarker==1,
> absorb(pano)
>
> Number of obs =    1632
> F( 14,  1314) =   69.42
> Prob > F      =  0.0000
> R-squared     =  0.7324
> Adj R-squared =  0.6678
> Root MSE      =  6.1165
>
> [...]
>
> . tsset pano edyear
>
> . xtreg edconch edround2 edround3 edtime edtimesq edyear edpollch
> lagconch
> laglabch lagldmch clmargin ldmargin conplace edenp class if
> edmarker==1,
> fe
>
> Fixed-effects (within) regression             Number of obs      =
>    1632
> Group variable (i): pano                      Number of groups   =
>     304
>
> R-sq:  within  = 0.4252                       Obs per group: min =
>       1
>        between = 0.4157                                      avg =
>     5.4
>        overall = 0.3644                                      max =
>      10
>
>                                               F(14,1314)         =
>   69.42
> corr(u_i, Xb)  = -0.5123                      Prob > F           =
>  0.0000
>
> [...]
>
> Now, I have fit the same models here (with the same FE in both)
> whilst
> 'switching off' any weighting and cluster options in both of them.
> How is
> [...]

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.