st: RE: Escaping dollar sign in graphs

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Escaping dollar sign in graphs
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:12:40 +0100

This is indeed a nuisance when you want something
different from Stata's treatment here. The cross-reference
implied is to the thread started by Phil Ryan on
21 May. See e.g.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.0405/Author/article-740.html

The story there is that using the escape character
works only so far as the next program called, which
sees e.g. $US or $CA and misinterprets those
as references to global macros. The story there
also is that using SMCL provides an  existing
work-around.

Patrick clearly flagged this as a question
for StataCorp, but it would seem 20 years too
late to undefine $ as indicating global macros.

Possibly StataCorp can define c($) as the dollar
symbol as a less cryptic alternative to {c S|}
or `=char(36)'. No idea how difficult that would
be.