Re: st: a statistical question.

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: a statistical question.
Date   Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:13:44 +0900

>generally speaking,if i want to do a chi2 test,the expacted count of each cell
>should more than 5.but if i have less,what statistical test should i take? is
>fisher's exact test a good idea?

There's controversy among the experts about both the rule of thumb and whether
Fisher's exact test is best (see, for example,
http://www.math.yorku.ca/Who/Faculty/Monette/S-news/0669.html ).  But in most
cases, it probably doesn't matter greatly.

>my data table is as follow,and if i use exact test ,the p-valuve is 0.00.is
>it wise to use it? thank you !
>
>	col
>row	1	2	3	Total
>
>1	6	12	2	20
>2	18	68	43	129
>3	9	4	1	14
>
>Total	33	84	46	163

I recommend avoiding stating p-values as equal to zero.  Rather, I recommend in
this case stating it as "P<0.005" if you don't know it with any more precision.
 If you're using Stata (-tabulate row col, exact-), then you can get the value
by typing -return list-, which in the case of this table is 0.0002.

Joseph Coveney