Re: st: creating interaction variables

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: creating interaction variables
Date   Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:45:39 +0900

Richard is absolutely right and I stand corrected.  The interaction term
command that allows for continuous-by-continuous interaction terms, in addition
to those involving categorical-predictor variables, is -xi3- from Michael
Mitchell and Phil Ender.  It's an extension of -xi- that is downloadable from
SSC or from the ULCA site.  -help xi3- (after installing the package) will
showTewodaj the way to the goal.

Joseph Coveney

Richard Williams wrote:

At 01:38 PM 6/11/2004 +0900, Joseph Coveney wrote:
>-help xi- will show how to do you what you want.  You can probably automate
>the exercise, too, with a couple of -foreach- or -for- loops.
>
>You'll need to stay aware whether one or both the predictor variables are
>continuous in each instance of the many different interaction terms that
>you're exploring, since -xi-'s syntax will be slightly different from the
>case in which they are both categorical.

Doesn't -xi- require that one of the vars be categorical though?  How about
if both x's are continuous?  If it doesn't exist already, it seems like it
would be nice to have something like -xi- for continuous vars, e.g. if you
have x1*x2 it expands to include the terms x1, x2 and x1*x2, so you don't
have to bother computing the interactions beforehand.

[excerpted]