Re: st: Using MS Word mail merge with Stata graphs

Subject   Re: st: Using MS Word mail merge with Stata graphs
Date   Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:03:37 -0400

The mail merge solution is good for replicating the same page over and over
with differing information -- more typical of an appendix than a narrative
report.  For graphs put within the body of a report, I find that the
includepicture field links don't seem to consistently refresh when you tell
them to (through hitting F9), I assume this is a Word bug.   Instead, you
sometimes have to go to Edit->Links and select the links you want and click
to have them manually refreshed.

I find that learning a little about automating both sides of the process
(not just in Stata but in Word or whatever word processor you use) really
helps bring out the power of using do file to create all of a report's
graphs.  It allows you to update data or make changes to the
look/layout/content of your graphs easily and you get some beautiful results
with Stata 8 (I've finally gotten used to waiting for graphs to appear), a
lot better than stooping to Excel.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]