Re[3]: st: Problem with foreach loops

From   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re[3]: st: Problem with foreach loops
Date   Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:02:54 +1000

As a follow up to my last email, I've found the answer to this problem
using -foreach-. Courtesy of Nick Cox's article in State Journal 3(2)
2003, the trick is to step through a non-numerical list using "word
[num] of".

Here is the code that works:

local i=1
foreach v in ajbmspay ajbmssec ajbmswrk ajbmshrs ajbmsflx ajbmsall {
  local n : word `i' of pay security work hours flexibility overall
  recode `v' (-4 -3 -1 =.), gen(a_`n')
  la var `v' "Satisfaction with `n'"
  local i=`i'+1
}

There remains, however, still one bug. The label variables command is
not being executed, and the recode command's own variable label remains
attached to the new variables. Does anyone have any thoughts?

--
Kind regards,
 Ian

Ian Watson