Re: st: proceeding beyond roctab 2000 error msg - correction

From   Gary Longton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: proceeding beyond roctab 2000 error msg - correction
Date   Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:08:14 -0700

David Kantor wrote:

>>I might add that it is important to know that _rc is set only for a
>> command that occurs under -capture-.
>>
>>If you want to see the output of the command AND subsequently test _rc,
>>then do...
>>  capture noisily ...

and Michael Blasnik replied:

I may be misunderstanding your first sentence, but _rc is set by every
command in Stata, whether you use -capture- or not.  It's just
that -capture- (quite appropriately named) captures the error code so that
Stata does not stop processing the current do/ado file.

I think that David was actually correct: _rc is a system scalar holding the return code from the most recent -capture- command. See [U]16.4 or convince yourself by displaying (-display _rc-) after any erroneous Stata command used without -capture-.
Though a Stata command may return a variety of error codes, the code will not be "captured" in the scalar _rc unless -capture- precedes that command.

- Gary

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/