RE: st: RE: -locpoly-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: -locpoly-
Date   Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:05:03 +0100

My opinion is that this would miss the point.
It seems an indirect way of comparing smoothers
to me. Degree and kind of smoothing are difficult to separate
in this way, quite apart from working out how many df
you have here.

Given one predictor, one response and two smoothers,
the key information is given by a graph, and you
can bring all you know about the problem to bear on that
(underlying science; purpose of analysis?). Why
throw all this into one omnibus test?