Re: st: unable to download materials

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unable to download materials
Date   Fri, 28 May 2004 15:55:12 +0100

Kit wrote

To:             	[email protected]
From:           	Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
Subject:        	st: unable to download materials
Date sent:      	Fri, 28 May 2004 15:11:26 +0100
Send reply to:  	[email protected]

> Mark wrote
>  >
>  >
>  >       Hi Mark,
>  >       I have tried that also. The problem with this route is that if I
>  > download a .hlp file, it gives the save option. However, if I click
>  > download by selecting, say, xtabond2.ado, it directly opens this file
>  > in the browser. Then I am forced to save it, open it again with
>  > notepad and do the save as procedure.
>
> Good point - my browser behaves the same way.  Unfortunately, there's
> no hyperlink at RePEc that allows a "right-click-and-save-as" option.
>
> Anybody out there have any suggestions on how to download from RePEc
> without having the files open in the browser?
>
> --Mark
>
>  >       I am still at a loss.  Also, the comp I am using has StataSE,
> which was purchased just a couple of weeks ago.
>  >       Thanks again,
>  >       Jeffry
>  >

> I don't know what a 'right click and save as' option is, not having
> ever seen one of those, but there are numerous built-in utilities out
> there that can download files from HTTP servers without using a
> browser: e.g.
>
> mac161:~/code kitbaum$ curl
> http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/i/ivreg2.ado > ivreg2.ado
>    % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed          Time
>   Curr.
>                                   Dload  Upload Total    Current  Left
>   Speed
> 100 64309  100 64309    0     0  65621      0  0:00:00  0:00:00
> 0:00:00 97858
> mac161:~/code kitbaum$ curl
> http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/i/ivreg2.hlp > ivreg2.ado
>    % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed          Time
>   Curr.
>                                   Dload  Upload Total    Current  Left
>   Speed
> 100 33251  100 33251    0     0  46375      0  0:00:00  0:00:00
> 0:00:00 81842
>

> On other systems I use (e.g. Solaris), 'curl' is not preinstalled, but
> 'wget' is. Aren't 'curl' or 'wget' available for Windows? They are both
> freeware, and I would think they could be run from the DOS command
> line. Either of them will do a perfect job of transferring files to the
> hard disk without Notepads, browsers, or concerns about file
> extensions.

A quick google around found wget and curl versions for Windows,
though in at least one case installation was not straightforward,
e.g., "Is anyone in this newsgroup developing PHP sites using cURL on
a Windows machine? If so H - O - W the devil did you install it...?"

The "right-click-and-download" option should be very simple to
implement.  Right now, on a RePEc download page you see, e.g.,

O File URL: http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/i/ivreg2.ado
File Format: text/plain
File Function: program code
Download Restriction: no

where the "O" in front of "File URL" is for ticking.  All that would
be necessary would be to make the url an actual link.  Not knowing
what goes on behind the scenes of RePEc, I suppose this could be non-
trivial, but it seems unlikely.

--Mark

> Kit

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3008 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator
http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/cert