Re: st: RE: STATA reads numbers as strings

From   "Joseph McCrary" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: STATA reads numbers as strings
Date   Fri, 28 May 2004 08:52:32 -0400

A bit late, but...

One thing I've done in the past is read the variable once as a string and
then again as a number. Then you can find those cases for which the
numeric version of the variable is missing. At that point, look at the
string version to see what the problem is. I did this when I did not want
to dump a whole lot of cases because of the way DSM codes were entered
into a database. I was able to go back and fix the variables so that I
lost many fewer cases.

Joe