Re: st: unable to install patches

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "Jacob, Jeffry Ankur" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: unable to install patches
Date   Wed, 26 May 2004 22:31:32 +0100 (BST)

Jeffry,

Quoting "Jacob, Jeffry Ankur" <[email protected]>:

> Hi all,
> I am unable to access the internet through STATA because of firewall
>  ( the settings can not be altered). I downloaded ivreg2.ado in the
> C:\ado folder (which is in adopath) and manually saved it as an .ado
> file using notepad.
> However when I try to call it, I get an error message "unrecognozed
> command". I am having the same difficulty with outreg and
> xtabond2.
> Can anyone please tell me how I can install these and other user
> written codes without having to type
> . ssc install ivreg2 in STATA.
> Thanks in advance,

Are you sure you're installing *all* the relevant files?

If you go to RePEc for ivreg2, for example, at

http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s425401.html

you'll see that there are 3 files that need to be downloaded.

A second possibility is that Stata is not looking in C:\ado.  You can
check this with the sysdir command.

A third, Win-dozy, possibility is that Notepad stuck a .txt extension on
ivreg2.ado without you realising it.  If you download directly via RePEc
and bypass Notepad, this shouldn't happen.

Hope this helps.

--Mark

> Jeffry Jacob

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.