st: Assigning value to highest rank

From   "Tonya Cropper" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Assigning value to highest rank
Date   Mon, 24 May 2004 06:08:43 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I  have three variables within each observation that I am trying to assign a
value for a new variable based on which of my three variables have the
highest value.  If the highest value is pl,  I would like to assign newvar =
0, if the highest value is pd: newvar = 1, or if the highest value is pu:
newvar = 0.5.  However, if there's a tie for the highest value, I would like
to randomly choose the winner and then assign the value as above.

Here's an example of the data and what I would want newvar to indicate.  I
would greatly appreciate any assistance.  Thank you.

Id         pd             pl            pu             newvar

117     11              11            8             (1 or 0 based on whether
pd or pl win toss)

118     12              8              10            1

120     18              10             14           1

121      6               11              7            0

122      4               9                9            (0 or 0.5 based on
whether pl or pu win toss)

123      6               8                10          0.5

126      9               9                12          0.5

127      10             7                10          (1 or 0.5 based on
whether pd or pu win toss)

129      9               11              10           0

131      9               5                 4            1

132      4                5                9            0.5