Re: st: RE: Robust Standard Errors

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Robust Standard Errors
Date   Fri, 21 May 2004 09:42:53 +0100

Larry,

Subject:        	st: RE: Robust Standard Errors
Date sent:      	Thu, 20 May 2004 16:11:16 -0700
From:           	"Chavis, Larry Wilson" <[email protected]>
To:             	<[email protected]>
Send reply to:  	[email protected]

> Thanks Richard for pointing out that FAQ. I have not been using the
> cluster option.  So it seems according to the FAQ that it is possible
> that the decrease is due to "something odd going on between the
> residuals and the x's" (or I could be extremely lucky and it is due to
> random variation!)  So I should probably look at the correlation
> between my X's and the residuals.  Maybe it is because most of my
> variables and fixed effect dummies have lots of 0 values.

Do you have fixed effects dummies in which you have a single 1 and
the rest 0s ("singleton dummies")?  About a year ago Vince Wiggins
wrote a very useful note about the effect of these on robust var-cov
estimates:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-06/msg00646.html

in which he concluded that the reported standard errors are still
useable even though the var-cov matrix isn't of full rank.  Might be
totally unrelated to your problem, but you never know.

--Mark

>  Thus when
> the "sandwich" is being summed the effects of some residuals are
> diminished. This sounds plausible to me but I'll have to work through
> the math.
>
> Thanks again,
> Larry

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3008 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator
http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/cert