st: RE: graphs, outliers, labels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: graphs, outliers, labels
Date   Sun, 16 May 2004 18:59:03 +0100

Daphna Bassok started a thread by asking various
questions on box plots. Here I edit slightly, also
numbering the questions, DB1 ... DB4.

DB1. Is there any way I can get labels on my box plot graphs?

Guilherme Silva answered

>> Supposing the variable of interest is named "xvar",
>> the variable of identification - "case",  and that you
>> have seen just 4 outliers in a previous screening ... then to
>> identify outliers (outsides in the box plot) you may type:
>> . graph box xvar, medtype(line) mark(1,mlabel(case)) ...

and he pointed out that the rule is a separate -mark(,)- option
for each y variable.

DB2. I would like to see the values of the median, 25th percentile,
75 %...etc.

I answered

>> Use -summarize, detail- to see the median and quartiles.

DB3. I want to see/know the values of the top and bottom cut off lines.
How do I find these values?

I answered

>> The adjacent values are the extreme data points within
>> 1.5 iqr of the nearer quartile. I think you might have
>> to re-create those for yourself, as -graph box- doesn't
>> seem to leave them in memory. Nor should it really,
>> as there could be lots of them.

I also posted the code of a program -adjacent- to
calculate these, and commented

>> I seem to get the same values as do the box
>> plot routines. Note that adjacent values
>> need not be unique. More testing advisable.

Ric Uslaner wrote

>> I copied -adjacent- into the do file editor and
>> tried to run it ... and this is what I got:
>> you must specify the lname() option
>> r(198);

whereas Clive Nicholas reported no problem.
He suggested -update q-.

The message Ric was seeing was coming from
official Stata -egen, group()-, which is
called by -adjacent-. I am not
clear why he's getting it. As far as I can
see it shouldn't happen. If it persists,
do flag that privately.

Daphna also asked privately, and I take
the liberty of echoing the question
here as others may be interested:

>> I am not sure I follow why the lower
>> and upper adjacent values are not
>> unique for a given population

What I meant was that there could
be ties for adjacent value. Naturally,
there could also be ties even for the
most extreme outliers.

I have now extended -adjacent- so that
it supports multiple variables in
the varlist and also frequency and
analytic weights. I'll send the files
to Kit Baum for posting on SSC.

DB4. I am interested in analyzing the outliers or outside values,
but I am not able to see what the specific lower and upper cut off
values are.

Another program which may be of interest here
is -extremes- from SSC. With the -iqr- option,
or with -iqr(1.5)- you can see which observations
are more than 1.5 iqr from the nearer quartile:

. extremes mpg, iqr

  +--------------------+
  | obs:    iqr:   mpg |
  |--------------------|
  |  59.   2.286    41 |
  +--------------------+

What's often more useful is to specify
other variables which are included
in the listing as context:

. extremes mpg make, iqr

  +--------------------------------+
  | obs:    iqr:   mpg   make      |
  |--------------------------------|
  |  59.   2.286    41   VW Diesel |
  +--------------------------------+

Just added to -extremes-, but not yet
in the version on SSC is support for -by:-.

. bysort for : extremes mpg make, iqr

-------------------------------------
-> foreign = Domestic

  +----------------------------------+