st: RE: problems with merge

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: problems with merge
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 12:52:57 -0700

Hello Kyu

I've had that error happen when the variable name was something like "int",
which Stata reserves as a datatype indicator (for integer).

Just edit your Using dataset to have unique but non-threatening variable
names like v1, v2, v3, v4, etc and then use -renvars- once they're merged
with your master data.

Best Regards
John Wallace | Research Associate | Test Method Development
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 3380 Central Expressway | Santa Clara, CA 95051 | Tel:
408-731-5574 | Fax:  408-481-0435

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyu S. Hahn [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: problems with merge

Hello,

I am simplying trying to merge a data file (wide format) with the master
data set (long format).  I have done this multiple times but I get the
following error message this time for whatever reason.  Can someone tell me
what might be wrong?  I suspect that it has to be something really simple.

merge serial using "C:\Documents and Settings\Kyu\My Documents\test1.dta"
int invalid varname
r(198);