RE: st: RE: automatic documentation for Stata ?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: automatic documentation for Stata ?
Date   Mon, 10 May 2004 12:27:01 +0200

Good morning,

It is feasible. And fairly easy with Stata's -file- command and string
functions. But you will have to define your own standards for adding "meta
information" to the ADO files (or borrow it from other languages -eg.
javadoc as you mention), and it is unlikely that you will find
user-written solutions that exactly fit what you want.

Adrian Mander's package -makehlp.ado- might be a very good starting point
though (findit makehlp returns a download site).

I recently did something similar too. My objective was to create a tool to
avoid the (painstaking IMHO) task of writing SMCL help files --very much
like the -makehlp- package--. Note that, rather than adding "meta data" in
the ADO files (as you suggest), I found it more flexible to define a
simple standard for a "Stata package description sheet": that is simply a
structured text file containing the material needed to create a
SMCL-formatted help file: title, description, date, syntax description,
author(s) name, etc. Then I wrote a parser (a Stata command) that reads
the "description sheet" file and generates the SMCL-help file (and other
things such as LaTeX-formatted doc). The most useful feature to this is
the direct translation of "syntax ..." statements, grabbed from the ADO
files.

I wrote the parser in Stata (using -file-), but as Nick Cox rightly
pointed out, it is certainly easier to write such a script in, say, AWK,
or some other scripting language well-equipped for parsing text files.
Yet, I preferred to keep everything in the same environment.

However, please, don't ask for the files! It is still pre-beta,
under-documented, (likely) bugged, and not robust, so I do not want to
share it (yet). Time permitting, I will certainly tidy it a bit and make
it suitable for distribution some day...

Hope this helps

Philippe

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
Philippe Van Kerm
  Integrated Research Infrastructure
           in the Socio-economic Sciences (IRISS)
  CEPS/INSTEAD
  BP48, L-4501 Differdange
  G.-D. Luxembourg
  [email protected]
  RePEc profile: http://authors.repec.org/pro/pva19/
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

st: RE: automatic documentation for Stata ?

From
  "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
  <[email protected]>
Subject
  st: RE: automatic documentation for Stata ?
Date
  Fri, 7 May 2004 13:52:23 +0100

I'm not familiar with Javadoc.

I think it is highly possible. You would need
to read in a series of files, select the
relevant stuff, and write to a master file.
In Stata, you _could_ read in do files
as string variables, but a better approach
would probably be based on -file-.

However, it would be surprising if anyone had
anticipated your needs by writing some Stata
code to do precisely this. Also, fond though
I am of Stata, if this were my problem I would
use some scripting language (Awk, Perl, Python,
etc., etc.) or programmable text
editor to automate this task.

Iben Fasterholdt

> Is it possible to automatically generate documentation for
> Stata do-files in
> the same fashion as in for example javadoc?
>
> Introduction to javadoc, see the link below:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/
>
> We would like to be able to write something like the following:
>
> /*
> * @author (our names)
> * @version (versioninformation)
> * @description (description and usage of the program)
> * @param (program parameters)
> */
>
> program define ....
> syntax ......
> .
> .
> .
> end
>
> We would like to have a script that can gather all this
> information from
> different do-files, to one documentation-file.  Does anyone
> know of such a
> script / program?

the system manager.