st: IV Regression with many zeros in 1st stage

From   mganz <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: IV Regression with many zeros in 1st stage
Date   Fri, 7 May 2004 12:35:04 -0400

Dear Statalist colleagues,

I would like to estimate the following regression:

BD=aX+bS+e

where BD=birth defect and S is a measure of smoking (either 0/1 or number of
cigarettes).  I would like to instrument S with cigarette prices and other
variables (local
smoking policy variables, eg).  The problem, I think, is that > 50% of
respondents didn't
smoke.  Does affect the appropriateness of the IV approach?  Ie, can my 1st
stage
regression:

S = cZ+dP+e

be estimated if >50% of S is zero?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Ganz, MS, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Society, Human Development and Health
Harvard School of Public Health
[email protected]
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty/ganz
Ph. 617-432-2382