st: RE: basic commands question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: basic commands question
Date   Wed, 5 May 2004 20:13:36 +0100

Yihong Ni

> I have a questions about using stata8:
> Is there any way to save the results of tabulate command in
> another .dta file?

-tabulate- does all sorts of things. If you wish to
save frequencies to a data file, check out -contract-
(having first -save-d your data).

> Or..
> why does the following code not work?
>
> . by (var1 var2): egen freq=count(var3)
>
> I want to count the number of occurences  (var3) for each
> year for each
> country.  how do i save this reorganized result in a .dta file?

I can see no reason why that shouldn't work,
provided that you have previously

. sort var1 var2

and that -var1 var2 var3- are variables in your
data.

As before, you can

. contract var1 var2 var3
. save freq