st: Re: Saving contents of review window to create a Do file

From   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Saving contents of review window to create a Do file
Date   Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:55:38 +1000

Dear statalist,

Richard Williams recently wrote:

   Also, I like to have every session automatically logged.  So, in my
   profile.do file, I have the commands

   log using d:\statalogs\mylog.txt, replace text
   cmdlog using d:\statalogs\mycmd.txt, replace

   These files will get overwritten each time you restart Stata, so you need
   to rename them ASAP if you want to keep them.  For more info, see

 I found a solution to this a few years by writing a small program
 (called -autolog-) which makes a dialogue box come up everytime I
 start Stata (by placing a command in my profile.do file). Autolog has
 been lodged with ssc archives. To obtain it, just type:

 findit autolog

 or

 ssc install autolog

The following is a brief description of autolog, from the help file:

autolog is a utility designed for use in Stata's profile.do
file (though it can be used interactively if desired).

autolog causes a dialogue box to pop up every time Stata starts
and prompts the user for a filename for the log file. This allows
the user to easily enter project filenames depending on what analysis
is underway. autolog is also designed to overcome the common
frustration of forgetting to send output to a log file at the
start of a session.

The input required for the command line (using) is the filename of the
default file where output will be sent when no filename is entered
in the dialogue box. This happens when the user presses Esc when
confronted by the dialogue box. A typical name might be "basic" or
"default". See examples below.

Kind regards,

Ian

================================