Re: st: rename variables UPPERCASE to lowercase

From   Ada Ma <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: rename variables UPPERCASE to lowercase
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:39:10 +0100

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. May be becoz I'm crap - I tried both Nick Winter's and Nick Cox's version and neither works.

When I used these commands:

foreach var varlist QUOTA-UALDWK2 {
rename `var' `=lower("`var'")'
}

Stata returns says "Invalid Syntax" r(198). I tried several versions of it and none of it work.

I think I'll stick to (and try to memorise) the "simpler" _renvars_!

Ada Ma

Nick Cox wrote:

Independently, Nick Winter has suggested what
I suggested as a solution using only official commands. However, his version is correct in remembering the " " in
. rename `v' `=lower("`v'")'

and mine is incorrect.
Nick [email protected]
Nick Winter

I need to convert all variable names from UPPERCASE to
lowercase. How can

I do that?
. foreach var of varlist * {
. rename `v' `=lower("`v'")'
. }

This will cycle through every variable in the dataset, renaming each to its equivalent, all-lower-case self.

Or I'm sure there are canned solutions out there, but this is a case, for me at least, where knowing a bit about -foreach- and local macros is far easier than remembering which canned solution does this little job...