re: st: Error bars

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: Error bars
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:10:08 -0500

Graphical depiction of error bars has been
the subject of various threads on this list.

Whatever your views, a letter in today's _Nature_

Vaux, D.A. 2004. Error message. Nature 428, 799

may be of interest.

The full text should be accessible to you via
http://www.nature.com,
clicking on "Table of contents", etc.
For copyright reasons, I'll not reproduce it
here. Note that this material is transient,
as _Nature_ is a weekly, so if this might interest
you, do it now.

I'm not surprised.

Reporting of statistical results in biological sciences in Nature and Science is often incomplete.

In the USA, the APA makes it more clear to researchers what is expected of them when reporting on statistical results in the area of Psychology:

http://www.apa.org/books/4200060.html

A similar guide needs to be available for the biological sciences if they don't want to use the APA's guide. I'm unaware of one. Certainly Medicine must have one? Please inform me if you know what I don't.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/