st: Storage of multiple dummy variables

From   "Nicolas Theopold" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Storage of multiple dummy variables
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:17:33 +0100

Please excuse if this becomes a multiple posting, my first posting
doesn't seem to have gone through.

Dear Statalist users,

I am having trouble with my data-set exceeding the RAM on the system,
making calculations very slow. One of the size issues comes from region
dummies I need in my analysis. I have 76 dummies with 1.1m observations
each, which adds (I think) about 100-200MB to my dataset.

Is there a more efficient way of storing this info? Could I tell stata
somehow to use one variable which contains all the region codes and
treat it as dummies that take value one when a certain code comes up?

i.e. region takes values 1 - 77
in a regression, could I somehow use dummies: region2, . , region77,
without having all these variables stored separately?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Nicolas