st: RE: ...residulas indipendence test...

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ...residulas indipendence test...
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:46:12 +0100

Indeed. Durbin-Watson tests _specifically_
for dependence w.r.t. time. Once everything
is for the same time, that is not
applicable. Even if you had something
exceptional, like observations in a one-dimensional
spatial series, the kind of dependency
which might be expected there would not
match what Durbin-Watson tests for, i.e. "previous"
in time does not correspond to "next" in space.
That is, in space, one expects influences to
propagate in all directions, not just from
"past" to "present".