st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Wishart distribution

From   "Naji Nassar \(MIReS\)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Wishart distribution
Date   Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:09:18 +0200

Dear listers

Sorry if this is unrelated to Stata.

> The only way you could formulate such a test would be if you have a
(large)
> sample of matrices.

That's the case, I'll have 200 covariance matrix (simulation case, same
sample size, same theoretical covariance matrix).
The original data are simulated, non normal (Ramberg method), 200
simulations for each case

The context :
In causal modelling, ML is efficient under the hypothesis that data is
multivariate normal distributed. But even when the data are not normal,
covariance method is still accurate (intermediate results) in some cases and
not in others. What I would like to test is whether these results are due to
the covariance departure from Wishart distribution..
In Bollen book, Structural equations with latent variables, p134-135 :
during estimation, ML need the multi normality in order to deal with Wishart
distribution for the covariance matrix.
My hypothesis (unsure whether this is can be theoretically handled):
- data are not normal, but the covariance show no departure from Wishart,
the ML results are accurate
- data are not normal, but the covariance show significant departure from
Wishart, the ML results are biased..

Best regards & thanks for your help
Naji