Re: st: Sample size determination for ROC comparison

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Sample size determination for ROC comparison
Date   Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:43:44 +0900

I think that this can be done in Stata using -simulate-.  Samples of various
sizes with given areas under the reciever operating characteristic curves could
be created with -drawnorm outcome predictor, corr(1 `rho' \ `rho' 1)
n(`sample_size')-.  Then -replace outcome = outcome > 0.5-, and -replace- the
predictor according to the assumption for its distribution.  (For a normally
distributed predictor, AUC given by -lroc- after -probit outcome predictor- is
(`rho' + 1) / 2).  Create two such samples (one for each of the two indepedent-
sample comparison groups) with their given AUCs determined by their respective
`rho' values used in -drawnorm-, and -append- them, using a grouping indicator
variable to tell them apart and to reference in the  -by- option in -roccomp-.
Power to discriminated the two groups at each sample size and level of Type I
error rate can then be estimated based upon the results returned from
-roccomp-, with the number of replications determined by the precision desired
for the power estimate.

Joseph Coveney