RE: st: Imputing values for categorical data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Imputing values for categorical data
Date   Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:43:36 +0100

Well, yes and no. Renzo's advice is clear and sensible,
and I'd add an even more general warning: Don't assume
that there is a single wonderful magic way of imputing
missing data.

Nevertheless it seems to me that the on-line
help and manual entry for -impute- are pretty clear
that -impute- is based on regression. It doesn't seem
to me that extraordinary to assume that users know what
regression is and are capable of thinking whether it is
a sensible technique for their problem. One sure way of
bloating the  manuals further is to add warnings almost
everywhere along the lines of "Think carefully whether
this command is appropriate for your problem and your data."

Renzo Comolli