AW: st: RE: confusion about psmatch2

From   "Jan Lambrecht" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: RE: confusion about psmatch2
Date   Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:39:07 +0200

Hi Lijun,

why would you want to compare OLS regression coefficients with a matched
sample average?

I think, your question might be explained by your data:
The OLS coefficient for college does not only measure the true/caual
influence of college on income, but also the influence of other variables
(such as gender, age and race) on college attendance. But the coefficient
has not necessarily to be larger than the causal influence you obtain after
matching, as there might be compensating effects.

Example:
Suppose that men generally have a higher income than women and that also
more men get a college degree. Then, after matching, your matched sample
includes mostly men (as your treatment group
mostly consists of men, your control group also mostly consists of men).
Averaging over this subset of your observations leads to a higher average
effect of education on income because you omit the (lower) income bracket,
consisting mostly of women. OLS estimation on the other hand estimates the
effect (causal or not) of college on income for _all_ observations, thus
including the lower income bracket and thus leading to a lower estimate of
the 'influence' of education on income.

Jan

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----