st: RE: Difference btw "clear" & "drop _all"

From   "Haas, Roy W" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Difference btw "clear" & "drop _all"
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:21:14 -0600

Clear is implemented as an "ado" file. Type
'which clear'
to find its path, e.g., "C:\Stata8\ado\base\c\clear.ado"
then type
'type path_name'
and you will see it drops everything, not just variables.

Roy W. Haas, Ph.D.
Department of Medicine
UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
(210) 567-9272

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 3:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Difference btw "clear" & "drop _all"

Hi all,

I am a newbie to STATA and I have a question regarding "clear" and "drop
_all".

According to STATA, these two are supposed to be the same. However, if I use
"clear", even my matrices are deleted from the memory, as opposed to "drop
_all", which just deletes the variables but maintains matrices in the
memory. Can anyone tell me more about the differences between these two
commands?

Thank you very much!

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.