Re: st: Which and return list

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Which and return list
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:00:00 -0600

Yes, there is a need for a program like this.

I have the situation in which research fellows use programs that I and others have developed. There is a archive, web accessibe, in which we place new ado files. However, fellows often do not take advantage of the archive or occasionally we forget to post changes to the archive. What then follows is that not everyone has an updated set of ado files. The question for us is whether two are more users have the same set of ado files.

The program that I would like to see is allied to Ade's request. I would like to see a program that scanned a DO file for ado files and then reported back in a sorted list the version of the ado files. There might be statements to allow or prevent searching some files such as Stata Corp files or STBPlus files. This would be a helpful utility.

A second program that would be helpful is one that would search for ado files by a keyword. Keyword searches work fine for StataCorp and STB files, but not for ordinary ado files that one may have written and placed in the ado/personal directory. What I have been doing is to place a line in the ado file like this:
*! keyword: some keywords
and then use the search program -dtsearch- to search for "keyword" and the actual keywords within 25 characters.

The reason I need to search is that I often forget the names of programs not often used.

Fred