st: RE: Re: New Version of Stata?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: New Version of Stata?
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:04:02 -0000

First off, the latest release of Stata is 8.2.
-update- your Stata to match.

Second, you can be assured that StataCorp is
working on a new release of Stata -- indeed we
already have some of it in our hands, in so far as many
features have been added since 8.0 -- and that the
release date will be announced to Statalist --
probably before any other public announcement --
but also probably about one week before the
official release date.

StataCorp do not, as a matter of course, make
public statements about long-term plans. One
good reason for that is that intended dates
have a habit of slipping, sometimes in a very
embarrassing way. Another good reason is prudence,
with regard to both customers and competitors.
StataCorp remains a business, after all, and
development rides on the back of smooth and sustained
sales in a crowded market.

The most insight into how Stata is developing
can be obtained by attending users' group meetings,
for example those to be held in 2004 in Berlin,
London, Boston and Adelaide.

The other standard comment on this is to
use the data on past behaviour, like a good
statistician. Stata was first released
in 1985 and so averages about 2.5 years between
major releases (marked by integers). At the same time,
knowing an average is, as we all know, insufficient
for accurate prediction, especially as we are not looking
at a stationary process here.