Re: st: xtnbreg question, part 2

From   "Jesper B. Sorensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtnbreg question, part 2
Date   Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:30:03 -0500

I agree that it doesn't sound like time series. It seems to me that what you want is "plain old" negative binomial or poisson models - this is a common usage of these models. From the viewpoint of the estimator, it doesn't much care if the "units" over which you observe the counts are cross-sectional units (eg locations) or historical units (your case).

Of course the user is responsible for figuring out whether the assumptions of the models are met, particularly wrt independence of observations. If you have concerns about autocorrelation, the models can be generalized through quasi-likelihood. See eg The Analysis of Count Data: Overdispersion and Autocorrelation, David N. Barron, Sociological Methodology, Vol. 22. (1992), pp. 179-220.

Hope this helps,
Jesper