st: Re: Problems with -hetgrot-

Subject   st: Re: Problems with -hetgrot-
Date   Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:20:12 -0500

I decided to check out the code and it has many problems.  First, tempvars
are generated and then replaced to equal a constant and then a scalar with
the same name (declared thru tempname) is created to hold the constant
(confusing at best).  In many places, the code takes several steps to do
something that could be done much more simply and the potential presence of
missing values in the grouping variables is handled inconsistently.

But the question of negative chi sq values is most likely due to the fact
that the formula appears to be implemented incorrectly in that the number of
groups is used instead of the number of observations when creating the first
term in the LR statistic  (I'm not sure about how the code should perhaps be
different for commands other than -reg-).

If you substitute the code below for everything inside the original quietly
block and change the tempvar and tempname declarations to

tempvar  e xbgls nindg sigg arg perg
tempname sig sumg LR

then it may work.   You can also drop the restore at the end of the program,
since Stata does that automatically.  This code may still need further
tweaks and could probably be further simplified, but this may be a good
start to fixing it.  When I tried this with OLS it appeared to provide
feasible results, but I haven't checked it any further than that.

* I'll assume we want to exclude missing values of grouping var
keep if e(sample) & `1'<.
bys `1': gen `nindg'=_N
local ntot=_N
bys `1': gen byte `perg'=_n==1
sum `perg', meanonly
local nind=r(sum)
replace `e'=`e'^2
sum `e', meanonly
scalar `sig'=r(sum)/`ntot'
egen `sigg'=sum(`e'), by (`1')
replace `sigg'=`sigg'/`nindg'
bysort `1': keep if _n==_N
gen `arg'=log(`sigg')*`nindg'
sum `arg', meanonly
scalar `sumg'=r(sum)
scalar `LR'=`ntot'*log(`sig')-`sumg'
return scalar lr= `LR'
return scalar pval= chiprob(`nind'-1,`LR')

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]