st: Re: getting output in a decent table

From   "Julia Gamas Buentello" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: getting output in a decent table
Date   Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:55:32 -0600

Hi,
It is very simple and requires no extra formatting because each entry will
be in its own cell:
1.  In Stata use the command "outsheet using nameoffile.txt"
2.  Go into excel and chose open file.  Chose text files or all files in the
type of file to open or nameoffile.txt may not show up.
3.  Select nameoffile.txt
4.  A window will open in excel asking you what kind of text file it is.
Chose text space delimited - it will be the option that makes the columns
align the way you want them to with a line in between columns, you will note
that by selecting different options the columns may look different.  You
want the option that separates each column.
OR
You could also use Stattransfer software to transfer your nameoffile.dta (as
saved in Stata) to any other format, for example: nameoffile.dta to
nameoffile.dbf.
I hope this helps.

You may also want to take a look at the command "insheet" for when you would
like to do the reverse: you have a table in excel with the names of
variables up top, you save it as a text file.  Then you open it in Stata
using insheet.

Julia A. Gamas
Urban Transportation Modeling
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, TEWODAJ MOGUES wrote:
>
> > Hello Stata users,
> >
> > I can imagine many of you to have had this question on their
> minds no matter what your area of work: How can I create an output
> of results of estimation work that shows up more or less neatly in
> table form (ie with figures in cells as opposed to listed next to
> each other as text. And I don't mind if the resulting table is in
> excel or other spreadsheet, or, say, a word table. So far what
> I've been doing is:
> > * saving results (along with commands) by typing
> > log using myestimations
> >
> > * opening the resulting smcl file with excel, and setting fixed
> width cells etc. so that things show up in table form
> >
> > * then formatting the resulting excel file by shifting things
> around, deleting unnecesary cells, etc.
> >
> > The problem with this indirect way of getting my results into a
> table format is that the latter formatting takes forever. So: 1)
> Is there a way to create the log directly into excel or another
> table form?  2) Can I log just the results, not results + commands?
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas!
> > Tewodaj
> >

> > ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
> > Tewodaj Mogues
> > Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics
> > University of Wisconsin - Madison
> > 427 Lorch St. #317, Taylor Hall
> > Madison, WI 53706
> >

> > *