Re: st: stata and weighting

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stata and weighting
Date   Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:59:05 -0500

At 09:52 AM 3/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:
I doubt there is much call for an nw option (naive weight)?  But
otherwise for some analysis one is reduced to multiplying and/or
rounding off weights to get the point estimates that the data
depositors/creators tell you that you should be getting (i.e. the ones
in their report).  Such as:
I would suggest that if you have to round off the weights (along with possibly multiplying them by something first) to match something in a report, then the people who did the calculations behind the report did something incorrect. That Stata doesn't automatically reproduce that incorrectness is reassuring to me.

More generally, my sense is that some other statistics packages (especially SPSS; I can't speak for others), don't distinguish between types of weights, and therefore make it very difficult to even know what, exactly, you are getting. Stata makes you think about what you really want your weights to do, which IMHO is a feature.

(Note that if you are using pweights, then the tabulation command you need to use is -svytab-.

--Nick Winter

Nicholas Winter 607.255.8819 t
Assistant Professor 607.255.4530 f
Department of Government [email protected] e
308 White Hall falcon.arts.cornell.edu/nw53 w
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-4601
*
* For searches and help try: