RE: st: Test of coefficient equality

Subject   RE: st: Test of coefficient equality
Date   Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:51:03 -0500

At 02:55 PM 3/5/2004 +0100, Dimova, Ralitza wrote:
Thanks so much!!! I'll try and see how it goes, possibly contact you later about developmens/ more questions. It would be great if I can compare coefficients both across the MLOGIT categories (Wald test does this for the whole coefficient vector, but I am really interested on the effect of "education" on each category) AND across the years. Good luck with the handout; hope to be hearing more from you over the next stages....
Not having done much with Mlogit, I don't have a good feel for what the interesting across-category hypotheses would be. If, for example, the effect of education was the same on all categories, that would basically mean that the effect of education was zero, right, i.e. education has no effect on group membership? If the effect of education was the same for a subset of categories (which might include all the non-reference groups) perhaps that would imply that these groups could all be combined together (at least if education was the only var you were looking at.) Or, perhaps something like, a higher level of education will make it more likely that you won't be in the reference group, but where you go instead is just kind of a random process?

Can anyone offer some specific examples here of the sorts of across-group hypotheses that would be interesting to test and what exactly they would mean?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]