st: Making saveold a permanent option

From   "Petersen, Karen " <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Making saveold a permanent option
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:09:35 -0600

My pc at home has Stata 7,  and at the office I use Stata 8.  I often forget
to specify "saveold" when moving data from the office to home.  Is there any
way to tell Stata 8 to always save data sets as Stata 7 (make saveold the
default)?  I know this may seem trivial, but I think it would be a useful
feature.  If this is not possible, would there be disadvantages to adding such
an option?
Finally, if I have data in Stata 8 format that I need to open in Stata 7, is
there a way to do so (in an emergency:-))?
Thanks,
Karen K. Petersen
Vanderbilt University
Department of Political Science