st: Re: nothing to install

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: nothing to install
Date   Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:36:30 -0500

On Feb 26, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Richard wrote:

At 03:35 PM 2/25/2004 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:
There are a few such entries on SSC, intended
to be helpful rather than the reverse.

In short, -ssc- works exactly as advertised, but
there is no absolute rule that a package need
include Stata .ado and/or .hlp files.
What Nick describes is what I would have guessed. As a relatively new user
of Stata, I wonder if, now that we have the -findit- command, putting up
such information-only packages causes more confusion than they solve. It
seems like it is an extra step that can slow you down until you get to what
you really want.

To "clarify" (ahem...) there should never have been a clarify.pkg on the SSC archive site. There is an entry in the SSC archive for clarify, with a web-page link that leads you to the proper site, but since 'ssc' (or its underlying 'net install') cannot work with 'foreign' web servers, all SSC .pkg files should point to local content. clarify.pkg has been removed, and when I have the time I will try to ensure that no other packages of its sort exist.

There will be no updates to the SSC archive during my absence from Boston from tonight through 8 March 2004.

Thanks
Kit

*
* For searches and help try: