RE: st: RE: Problems with graphing in Stata 8

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Problems with graphing in Stata 8
Date   Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:54:21 -0000

As Don implies, Branko's problem is
essentially the same.

Let's backtrack one step and look at the general
choice here. The graph overlay
facility is wonderful, but not always the
only solution, or even the best. There's
often a choice between fixing things upstream
(generating separate variables ahead of the graph)
and fixing things on the fly.

If I had say five density estimates to superimpose,
I would be tempted to do something like this

forval i = 1/5 {
	qui kdensity myresponse if mygroup == `i', gen(density`i')
}

line density? , clp(dash dot solid dash_dot "_#-#")
	legend(label(1 "group 1") label(2 "2") label(3 "3") label(4 "4")

	label(5 "5"))

The example shows how -label()- is an alternative to -order()-
(and incidentally why you might prefer -order()-).

Of course, there is some inelegance in generating the
variables explicitly. The resulting graph command, however,
tends to be easier to write, to debug and to understand
afterwards.

Do whatever seems more straightforward.

Donald Spady to Branko Milanovic