st: Re: op. sys. refuses to start new process

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: op. sys. refuses to start new process
Date   Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:04:01 -0500

On Feb 21, 2004, at 2:33 AM, A. Pal wrote:

When I try to launch a Stata job, I get an error
message:

op. sys. refused to start new process
r(702);

from a UNIX machine.  My .do file request 1000m
memory.  I make the request under the conditions

Memory: 8192M real, 4367M free, 224M swap free

So, there should be sufficient memory.  Any ideas what
causes this or more importantly how to fix?
Insufficient memory will indeed give this error. Are you sure that your Unix process limits allow you to grab that much memory (presumably more than 1 Gb, if Stata allocates 1 Gb for just data)? Irregardless of how much memory is on the machine, there are limits to the memory partition that each user may request. "man ulimit" will tell you more on my Unix system.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/